Built in the Edwardian era by members of the Hope family, Whitney Court remains with them to this day. As custodians the family have ensured that the court has been sympathetically maintained to remain true to it's original character.

 

 

Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.
Navigation

History

Whitney Court was designed by the architect T.H. Watson and built as an elegant Edwardian residence for the Hope family between 1898 and 1902.


In its day a State of the Art Neo-Jacobean house, with one of the first private electricity systems in Britain, the present, third Whitney Court in succession to a mediaeval castle, was built regardless of expense between 1898 and 1902. 

The new house was the joint enterprise of two exceptionally well-connected women, Lady Mary Nugent, beautiful daughter of the 22nd Lord Delvin and 7th Earl of Westmeath and Eliza Coats, youngest daughter of the joint-founder of the great cotton thread firm of J & P Coats, one of British Industry’s top 19th Century success stories, now almost forgotten but, at the start of the First World War, the third largest firm in the world.

Although the present Court is recent by Stately Home standards, the nucleus of the Estate it stands on, four hundred acres down by the River Wye, were once the Hermitage lands of St Cynidr, a 6th Century AD Welsh cleric and contemporary of King Arthur.

St Cynidr’s lands were still Church-owned in Domesday Book and his Hermitage only displaced to next door Winforton when a  castle and brand-new Lordship were established at Whitney in the first half of the 13th century.

The new lord – a knight from eastern Herefordshire - took the name of de Whitney and his heirs were to hold the Estate in unbroken succession until Whitney was sold to its present owners, the Hope family, in 1897.

The new Court was occupied by the British and U.S. Armies during the Second World, re-occupied as a private house only in 1950 and inherited by its present owners, Augustine and Maureen Hope in 1996.